Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Summer Time Is Here - Smoke the Anejo #50 (Robusto)

1 Cigar You've Gotta Smoke (a compilation of my last month of smoking)
Spring is just about over and if you haven't enjoyed some outdoor smokin' I suggest you get a few stogies in before the heat is too much to handle.  I haven't touched my blog in a few weeks because my laptop had a bad powerjack.  A few Youtube searches and 2 Amazon orders later, I've learned how to disassemble my laptop and change out a powerjack.  As lame as it sounds, I felt a little bit like Batman avoiding a $300 repair bill. 
But enough of my amateur CPU tech skills; I've taken a bunch of pictures and tons of notes on new cigars I've smoked while my laptop has been out of service.  I planned on writing some reviews, but instead I'm going to tell you about a single cigar that amazed me.  This cigar is one of my new favorites, and even more importantly....this cigar was absolutely unbelievable.

Photo credit - tgdennis1971 from Puff.com
Check out what I have to say about the Anejo #50 - click link below



Fuente - Anejo #50
I've smoked a handful of Anejos in the last 2 months and while I've enjoyed them, I wasn't blown away and wasn't buying the hype.  A lot of guys I smoke with go crazy over these and my experiences with a few #48s and #49s had me wondering what they were smoking that I wasn't.
Then, I picked up the robusto size in the series.  A little truer to my preference for a cigar's length, the #50 is about 5 1/4", where as the 48 and 49 are at least 7".  You can read my review of the #49 Anejo HERE.

Pre-Smoke to First Inch of the Cigar-
The #50 is absolutely flawless.  The Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper is as dark as they come in the variety, and has a smooth appearance with a little roughness to the touch.  The cigar smells sweet, cedary and fresh. 

I'm lucky enough to get my hands on two #50s out of a box that has been sitting since December.  So its possible this #50 is at least a box-year old.  There is a little bit of plume on the cigar and I feel like I've really got a hold of a special cigar. 
I light the cigar up and the first few puffs are a strong cinnammon-like spice that almost burns my palette.  I've smoked plenty of cigars with spicy starts, but this is unique in feel and flavor.  A few solid drags and the #50 is steady burning.  The spice starts to fade and I realize that the #50 is nothing like the 48 and 49.  They pale in comparison right off the bat.  The cigar has an easy draw that billows clouds of smoke.  The smoke is thick and creamy; full-flavored and full-bodied.  The spice is now sweetening a bit and has taken a back seat to other flavors.

Smoking it 
The cigar has so much flavor and it only gets better as it burns.  I wish the 48 and 49 were as good, because now I'm wishing this 5 1/4" cigar were 7 5/8".  The #50 needs no touch ups and burns great.  Now I know why everyone loves the Anejo series.  Maybe I had some dud Anejos prior to smoking the #50, but as you may know; some sizes in most cigar lines, tend to showcase and highlight the qualities and flavors the manufacturer set out to create. 
In essence, certain sizes are better representations of the intended identity of a cigar series then the others.  I've smoked cigars of the same label in different sizes and come away feeling as if I've smoked a completely different cigar.  That concept is a topic all its own so I'll get back to the details of the #50.

The middle third of the cigar is so good, and while the cigar's flavor profile is complex, this is a point where things level out and you get consistent flavor for about an inch and half.  The flavor starts to get a dark fruit taste with a full-bodied feel.  The resting smoke starts to have a sweet, thick aroma - and within a few minutes the flavor begins to sweeten to the point of it being sugary on palette.  All the while, the cigar maintains a full-bodied flavor profile.

The End and My Thoughts-
The final 2 1/2" are the part that left me blown away.  First of all, the cigar never burned to hot or got that harsh, built up tar taste.  Second of all, the sweetness is thick, rich and tasty.  My palette tingles a bit with some spice notes and the smoke has a chewy, creamy feel to it.
I literally sat there savoring each puff, exhaling through my nose; wishing the cigar had another 5" to go.  But all good things must come to an end and I burned this bad boy to the point where I couldn't even toothpick the thing.

Overall, I don't have a bad thing to say about the cigar.  If I wanted to get picky, I would say that the spice on the front end was so spicy it almost burned my mouth, but the spice had some unique notes that made it unforgetable and I apologizing for using the word unique in the same sentence, but it was unique.  I've never had a cigar with that bold of a kick-off.
The construction was absolutley flawless.  Hands down amazing.  Not a blemish on the 5-year aged Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper, and every part of the experience was enjoyable.  After talking with some friends who have been touting the wonders of the Anejo for years, I admitted to them that I now know why they love the Anejo as much as they do.
With a $12 price tag for a single stick, it is worth every penny.  Its a little pricey I know, but these days I kick out $11 for a Liga Privada Robusto because I know that I'm getting an amazing, delicious cigar every time I light up.  There are solid $8 robustos out there, and even some $6 sticks that are tremendous values.  But once you start smoking top shelf and really liking them, its very common to spend $10 + for great cigars.
I'm not rich or even upper-middle class, so believe me, I can't go for my favorites every time I sit down, but the limited bi-annual releases of the Anejo will have me salivating until I the next batches become available.

SMOKE THIS CIGAR
So go smoke this damn thing.  Do not settle for any of the other vitolas, other then the #55 'Shark' (which I have yet to smoke, but am told is even better then the #50).  You will not be disappointed.  You will be ecstatic.  The #50 Anejo is better than the Padron 26 and 64s.  It is better then the VSGs and the Liga Privadas.  It is better then any Tatuaje I've smoked.  These are some bold claims, and I stand behind them.  I'd recommend the #50 to every seasoned smoker out there. 
Full-bodied, full-flavored - rich and complex.  Sweet, spicy, fruity and creamy.  An amazing cigar, representing the best of the cigar world.  Another Connecticut Broadleaf that is to die for.  I pray that the Connecticut valley can meet the demands for this type of leaf.  Or maybe they can uproot some of that shade they grow to make way for some more broadleaf growth.

OVERALL - A++

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite cigars. The cigar actually enfold your taste sensors and prevent you there all the way through the entire smoking experience.

    http://www.famous-smoke.com/brand/ashton+classic+cigars

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Am I on to something? Am I wrong? Or am I full of shit?